The certificate in Professional Meeting Planning and Special Events is designed for individuals who wish to learn the core competencies and skills necessary to plan and produce successful meetings, conferences and events.
You will have the opportunity to participate in site visits as well as interact with and hear from industry speakers. The courses are taught by highly-qualified industry professional instructors and are held on Saturdays to provide a dynamic learning experience with extensive interaction between students and instructors. Upon completion you will walk away with a portfolio-ready project presentation that will demonstrate your knowledge of the meeting planning and events industry.
All program courses have been verified by the Convention Industry Council. Attendees will receive credit towards their 25 clock hours of continuing education (within the last five years) necessary for their Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) application.
The certificate in Professional Meeting Planning consists of nine required courses totaling 40 hours of discussion and interaction with industry professionals. The certificate graduate will receive 4.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs), a nationally recognized unit used for professional development.
*** WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS AT THIS TIME. ***
Upon completion of the certificate program, participants will be able to:
- Plan events that meet the needs of the audience
- Plan cost-effective meals
- Select appropriate sites
- Negotiate contracts with hotels and other meeting sites
- Select audio/visual equipment and determine functional room setup
- Prepare and manage meeting and special event budgets
- Manage the organization's participation in exhibitions
- Create a project presentation that demonstrates knowledge of the meeting and special events industry and process
The target audience is defined as:
- Organizational meeting planners
- Event planners for service organizations
- New meeting or event planners
- Individuals who are changing careers
- Human Resource professionals or administrative managers
- Future Certified Meeting Professionals (CMPs)
- Future Certified Special Event Planners (CSEPs)