Jquery library Financial Aid - MS in Counseling | CSUF
Masters Degree Program

Financial Aid Information – MS in Counseling, Part-time

Federal Stafford unsubsidized loans are available to assist you in meeting your educational expenses. You may elect to pay the interest on your unsubsidized student loan while you are enrolled, or you may request that the interest be capitalized and repaid along with the principal after you complete your program.

Eligibility for Federal Student Aid

To receive a Federal Stafford loan, you must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident), and you must meet all other Federal Student Aid eligibility requirements. These requirements are published in the U.S. Department of Education’s Guide to Federal Aid.

Annual Loan Limits

Annual loan limits are $20,500 for unsubsidized loans. Your total eligibility will be determined by the CSUF Office of Financial Aid based on your direct program costs and standard allowances for room and board, transportation and personal expenses. Your loan cannot exceed your annual program costs. For more information, visit the Office of Financial Aid website.

Enrollment Requirements

Federal regulations require half-time enrollment to receive Federal Stafford loan funding. At CSUF, you must be enrolled in at least six units per semester to meet this requirement.

How to Apply:

Step 1: Obtain a free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from any high school or college and submit your application to the address provided on the form or, to expedite processing, apply electronically at the FAFSA website. Be sure to include the CSUF institution code: 001137.

Step 2: About 4-6 weeks after you submit your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal processor as well as an acknowledgement from the Office of Financial Aid. We may request documents such as tax returns to verify application data. Once your application and any documentation are evaluated, we will email you a link to Titan Online to view your award summary and to print out a Federal Stafford Loan request form.

Step 3: To accept your loan offer, you must complete the Federal Stafford loan request form. You will need to select a lender (a list of preferred lenders is located on the Office of Financial Aid website). If you are borrowing a student loan through CSUF for the first time, you are required to have student loan counseling before your loan is processed. The one-time student loan counseling requirement is provided along with the one-time master promissory note requirement at the Federal Student Aid website.

Step 4: Once you have completed the one-time student loan counseling, the CSUF Office of Financial Aid will confirm your dates of attendance and your program costs. It may be necessary to adjust your awards because of your program’s changing costs and enrollment dates.

Step 5: The Office of Financial Aid will forward your loan information to your lender for approval.

Step 6: Your lender will issue a Master Promissory Note (MPN) if you do not already have a valid MPN on file. Complete and return the MPN to your lender.

Step 7: The Office of Financial Aid will provide University Extended Education (UEE) with a list of students who are eligible for Financial Aid for the upcoming semester. If you know that you are eligible and have accepted your loan offer, contact UEE Registration at (657) 278-2611 before the course registration deadline so that you can be enrolled in at least six units of coursework. Students must be enrolled in it at least six units (part-time student unit load) in order to be eligible for financial aid. After UEE Registration verifies that your name appears on the list from the Office of Financial Aid, UEE will register you in classes for the upcoming semester.

Step 8: Your lender will send your loan funds to CSUF Student Financial Services at the beginning of the fall, spring and summer terms. If your loan covers two semesters, you will receive half each semester. If your loan covers a single semester or summer term, you will receive one disbursement within that term.

Step 9: After your part-time enrollment status has been verified, Student Financial Services will disburse student loans either the week before or during the first week of each semester. You will receive your disbursement for the semester at that time. It is your responsibility to pay your total tuition fee balance to UEE on or before the payment deadline that has been established for financial aid recipients who are matriculating in the MS in Counseling-Garden Grove program. This deadline is sent to you in the registration information letters that are sent out prior to each semester. Also, if a student applies late in the process and receives financial aid late, he/she will still be required to pay the fees no later than two weeks after the start of class and thus reimburse themselves later when he/she receives financial aid.

Other Financial Aid Terms and Conditions

The financial aid information contained in this handbook focuses on the process of applying for and receiving a student loan. Be sure to visit the Office of Financial Aid website to ensure your awareness and understanding of the federal, state and institutional policies and regulations governing financial aid.

Renewing Your Financial Aid Application

You must file a separate FAFSA for each academic year. If you filed your initial FAFSA electronically, the federal processor will automatically send you a renewal reminder and PIN number so that you may renew your application electronically. If you do not receive a renewal application due to a change of address or mishap, simply submit a new application either electronically or in hardcopy form. The priority filing period for CSUF is January 1–March 2 each year for the following academic year. By meeting the March 2 deadline, you ensure that you will receive your award notification in enough time before the start of the fall semester of each academic year.

Deferments on Existing Student Loan Payments

Enrollment in a matriculating degree program may allow you to defer loan payments on any existing student loans. Deferment applications should be mailed to the following address for verification of current enrollment:

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive #300
Herndon, VA 20171
Phone: (703) 742-4200
National Student Clearinghouse website

If you have any questions regarding financial aid, please contact Jill Brower, CSUF Office of Financial Aid, at financialaid@fullerton.edu or (657) 278-1653.


For more information, please contact the Perspective Student Advisor at 657-278-3042 or applycounseling@fullerton.edu