Perl is a stable, cross-platform programming language that is popular for writing everything from system utilities and administration, web programming, application development and especially text processing. Perl combines the power and ease of use of a number of popular UNIX tools, including sed, awk and the C programming language. Perl's interface allows integration with third-party databases such as Oracle, Sybase, MySQL and others.
In these hands-on programming courses, you will learn about the Perl scripting language, using associative arrays, network communication and database integration. Advanced topics such as the object-oriented nature of Perl, integrating other tools in Perl scripts and writing functions are also covered.
These courses are offered real-time remote (CA time) via web conferencing.
The certificate in Perl Programming consists of two required courses totaling 48 hours of lectures, lab demonstrations, discussions, coding assignments and projects. A certificate in Perl Programming and 4.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be awarded to those completing the program.
Graduates of the certificate program will:
- Have a working knowledge of Perl programming
- Be able to program effectively and efficiently in Perl
- Use Perl scripting language on different platforms
- Be able to collect information, search for strings, and produce complex reports
- Integrate other tools in Perl scripts and write CGI scripts
- Be ready to be a productive member of an application development team
- Application developers
- Software developers
- IT managers and directors
- Individuals seeking to be engineers
- Systems analysts
- Business analysts
Students beginning the Certificate in Perl Programming are not required to have programming experience, but experience with Windows, UNIX or Linux is expected. Experience with C programming language or any of the UNIX shell languages will also be helpful.