GIS is a computer-based methodology for collecting, analyzing, modeling and presenting geographic data for a wide range of applications. The proliferation of desktop hardware and software has made these systems an important tool in our day-to-day lives. GIS data and the people trained in these methodologies and applications are becoming integral components in nearly every type of business and government service. The GIS professional must be competent in integrating geography, data and systems to solve a wide range of problems for business, healthcare, insurance, law enforcement and other industries.
An important component of this program is the project which is introduced in the first course and carried through the entire program. Certificate graduates will have a completed project portfolio to demonstrate GIS skills.
The Certificate in Geographic Information Systems provides two convenient options for completing the certificate: in-classroom or online. Each of the programs consist of four courses totaling 84 hours of lecture and are project based. The certificate graduate will receive 8.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
At the conclusion of the certificate program, graduates will be able to:
- Provide a general definition and understanding of the key concepts and topics of GIS including a brief history of the industry;
- Understand the major components of a Geographic Information System including hardware, software and data;
- Identify the role and functions of the GIS Specialist in both the public and private sectors;
- Understand GIS database principles and build a GIS database, data type and data sources;
- Understand the fundamentals of ArcGIS and its related applications; and
- Complete a capstone project integrating the student's GIS knowledge and skills accumulated over the course of the certificate program.
- Recent Baccalaureate graduates across many disciplines
- Employees of organizations either utilizing or planning to utilize GIS
- Career changers - IT Professionals
- Retirees - second career
Certificate graduates will have a completed project portfolio to demonstrate GIS skills. Some courses available online.
"After completing the GIS Certificate, I now understand GIS capabilities and tool boxes and can quickly assess new datasets to determine what can and can’t be generated as output products. And I can add a GIS certificate to my resume!"
Maurice Masequesmay, Systems Engineer