The Master of Social Work Flex Program is a 60-unit program held on the Irvine campus. Ideal for working professionals, it can be completed in around three years. It will help you develop effective, autonomous and professional social work practice in multiple areas.
The curriculum provides advanced knowledge of social work, with a multicultural emphasis that prepares you to work in diverse social environments. There are two concentrations available:
- Child Welfare: Ideal for professionals interested in working in environments involving children, including child welfare/protective services, schools and youth correctional centers.
- Community Mental Health: This concentration prepares professionals to work in a variety of mental health settings, including psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment facilities.
You will be grouped into a cohort that follows the same class schedule throughout the program. Classes are guaranteed and conveniently scheduled in the evenings during the Fall, Spring and Summer terms on the CSUF Irvine Center.
- MSW 501: Social Work Perspectives on Human Behavior I
- MSW 520: Social Welfare Policy and Services I
- MSW 550: Social Work Practice with Diverse Populations
- MSW 502: Social Work Perspectives on Human Behavior II
- MSW 510: Social Work Practice I
- MSW 521: Social Welfare Policy and Services II
- MSW Elective
- MSW Elective (optional, can be taken in year 3)
- MSW 503: Social Work Perspectives on Human Behavior III
- MSW 511: Social Work Practice II
- MSW 540: Social Work Field Instruction I
- MSW 512: Child Welfare: Advanced Practice * * or MSW 514: Community Mental Health: Advanced Practice I *
- MSW 522: Child Welfare Policy and Social Work * * or MSW 523: Mental Health Policy and Social Work *
- MSW 541: Social Work Field Instruction II
- * Community Mental Health Concentration
- * * Child Welfare Concentration
- MSW 530: Applied Social Work Research Methods I
- MSW 542: Advanced Social Work Field Instruction I
- MSW 596: Master’s Project Development
- MSW Elective (optional, if taken in year 1)
- MSW 543: Advanced Social Work Field Instruction II
- MSW 564: Professional Issues in Social Work: Supervision, Grants and Finance
- MSW 597: Master’s Project
- All courses are three units -
Two elective courses are required, one must be practice-specific
- MSW 570: Social Work Practice in Substance Abuse Treatment
- MSW 571: Social Work Perspectives on Developmental Psychopathology and Family Context (does not meet practice-specific requirement)
- MSW 572: Spirituality, Religion and Social Work
- MSW 573: Trauma-Focused Social Work Practice
Field Learning Experiences
You will complete two nine-month long field learning experiences—tailored to your area of social work practice interest—consisting of 16 hours per week at a community-based social work agency.
What’s your next step?
Learn more about our program at an in-person info session, or join the MSW Flex email list. By joining the list you will also receive program and application updates.
Get an in-depth look at the program and meet an admissions coordinator at an in-person info session.