Instructions to Enroll via Open University
All students must meet and acknowledge all stated prerequisites for course choices. An instructor or department could ask to see transcripts.
The process to enroll during spring/fall semesters is unique, as permission from the professor and academic department are needed. This process is facilitated by initiating a Request for Approval on the Open University website two weeks before the semester begins.
You may request permission for a course that is open, closed or waitlisted. If approved by both professor and academic department, a permit will be placed and you will proceed with enrollment in the Mange Classes tile with an enrollment appointment window, as long as there is physical space, and any active internal waitlists have expired. Active waitlists are for admitted students only. Refer to the important dates and deadlines for a specific semester.
Summer and winter session terms have an early enrollment window. You may enroll into open sections of a course without permission, barring prerequisites have been met. The early enrollment period opens in late October for upcoming winter sessions, and in April for upcoming summer sessions. Prepare ahead and be sure to either create or confirm your record so that you have an enrollment appointment window in the Manage Classes tile. Refer to the important dates and deadlines for a specific session/term.
*If you receive an error message, try clearing the "cookies/cache" in your browser.
- I am a NEW Student to CSUF and want to have an appointment assigned for the upcoming term. Go to New Student Creation or Returning Student Confirmation to create a New Student Record and activate your program and term for an Open University enrollment appointment assignment. Follow prompts to verify your email address and then use the PIN Letter emailed to you later to gain login access to the CSUF Portal to confirm your appointment. Use the New Student Record Creation Guide.
- I am a RETURNING Student to CSUF and no longer have access to the CSUF Portal. Go to New Record Creation or Returning Student Confirmation to have system update your Portal access in 24-48 hours. Once you have access again to the CSUF Portal, use this Returning Student OU Enrollment Appointment Guide to log in to the CSUF Portal and activate your program and term for an Open University enrollment appointment assignment. Updating your student record may be three parts.
Part 1. Regaining access to login to the CSUF Student Portal,
Part 2. Updating your profile, and
Part 3. *Activating your program and term to enroll via Open University, which generates an enrollment appointment window.
- I am a RETURNING student to CSUF and DO have access to the CSUF Portal already. Log into the CSUF Portal and use this Returning Student OU Enrollment Appointment Guide to activate your program and term for an Open University enrollment appointment assignment.
*Assign winter appointments before spring, and summer before fall, if you are planning to enroll in both terms.
STEP 2: View CSUF Schedule
- During fall & spring semesters, uncheck “Show open classes only” box to view all sections of a course (open, closed, or waitlisted).
- When searching for summer & winter terms, adjust the course career to "Extended Education".
- Returning student? The schedule in the Manage Classes tile is the same as the link below.
STEP 3: Check for Holds
- Registration holds prevent enrollment via Open University. Returning students: check the Tasks tile in your Student Homepage.
- Select the hold for more details and the department to contact for the hold. Be proactive and resolve holds before enrolling.
- New to CSUF? You should not have any holds.
STEP 4: Request Classes & Enroll
Summer/Winter Terms: register for open sections with an OU enrollment appointment window in the Manage Classes tile.
If the course has a prerequisite that you took elsewhere, you will need a permit. Check the summer or winter dates and details page for permit instructions.
Fall/Spring Semesters: start by initiating a Request for Approval to obtain professor and department permission.
This process opens on the OU website two weeks before the semester begins, and the transaction is an online communication, routing the request to the instructor of record first, and from there, to the academic department for the course section requested. Think of it as an electronic paper form that holds up to five individual courses.
This is the process for courses whether they are open, closed or waitlisted.
After a permit is placed you will need to complete enrollment in the Manage Classes tile, then proceed to Step 5: Process Payment. Payment is due the same day.
STEP 5: Process payment
For more information regarding Student Portal login and navigating your Student Homepage, click HERE.
All fees are due in full at the time of enrollment, unless approved under some other agreement through EIP Finance. You will be subject to enrollment cancellation (without notice) if fees are not paid in full at the time of enrollment. Take time to review the Fees & Resources for Open University fee and refund policies.
For information on all other fees of other courses/programs offered through Extension and International Programs, click HERE and go to the specific program to review fee policy and refund information.
If you are an individual in the United States physically on a student Visa, requesting enrollment in any semester/term, which allows you to complete coursework in the United States, be prepared to upload proof of permission from your designated school official (DSO) at the time of the enrollment or Request for Approval. This documentation should state you have approval to complete a course(s) at CSUF through Open University, while an admitted/matriculated student in attendance at another institution. Open University at CSUF does not issue one an I-20 to obtain a student Visa to enter the United States.