Instructions to Enroll via Open University
All students must meet and acknowledge all stated prerequisites for course choices. An instructor or department could ask to see transcripts.
The process to enroll during spring/fall semesters is unique, as permission from the professor and academic department are needed. This process is facilitated by initiating a Request for Approval on the Open University website two weeks before the semester begins.
You may request permission for a course that is open, closed or waitlisted. If approved by both professor and academic department, a permit will be placed and you will proceed with enrollment in the Mange Classes tile with an enrollment appointment window, as long as there is physical space, and any active internal waitlists have expired. Active waitlists are for admitted students only. Refer to the important dates and deadlines for a specific semester.
Summer and winter session terms have an early enrollment window. You may enroll into open sections of a course without permission, barring prerequisites have been met. The early enrollment period opens in late October for upcoming winter sessions, and in April for upcoming summer sessions. Prepare ahead and be sure to update or create your record so that you have an enrollment appointment window in the Manage Classes tile. Refer to the important dates and deadlines for a specific session/term.
To be assigned an Open University specific enrollment appointment window, accessible in the Student Homepage.
*If you receive an error message, try clearing the "cookies/cache" in your browser.
- This step will prompt an Open University (OU) specific enrollment appointment window to appear in your CSUF Student Homepage. Updating or creating your student record is always the first step ahead of each semester/term you plan to enroll through Open University.
- New to CSUF? If you have never applied to, or enrolled at CSUF, then use the Create Student Record link to build your profile, which will generate a campus wide ID (CWID) and PIN for portal login, and activate your record in the Open University plan.
- Returning to CSUF? If you have taken courses or earned academic credits at Cal State Fullerton, then you already have a CWID. Use What’s My CWID to recall your campus wide ID (CWID). Use this Returning Student Guide and select the Manage Classes link for a review of steps to activate your record in the Open University plan. Updating your student record may be three parts:
Part 1. Regaining access to login to the CSUF Student Portal,
Part 2. Updating your profile, and
Part 3. *Activating your program and term to enroll via Open University, which generates an enrollment appointment window.
STEP 2: View CSUF Schedule
- During fall & spring semesters, uncheck “Show open classes only” box to view all sections of a course (open, closed, or waitlisted).
- When searching for summer & winter terms, adjust the course career to "Extended Education".
- Returning student? The schedule in the Mange Classes tile is the same as the link below.
STEP 3: Check for Holds
- Registration holds prevent enrollment via Open University. Returning students: check the Tasks tile in your Student Homepage.
- Select the hold for more details and the department to contact for the hold. Be proactive and resolve holds before enrolling.
- New to CSUF? You should not have any holds.
Step 4: Request Classes & Enroll
- Summer/Winter: register for open sections with an OU enrollment appointment window in the Manage Classes tile. If the course has a prerequisite that you took elsewhere, you will need a permit. Check the summer or winter dates and details for permit instructions.
- Fall/Spring: start by initiating a Request for Approval to obtain professor and department permission. This process opens on the OU website two weeks before the semester begins, and the transaction is an online communication, routing the request to the instructor of record first, and from there, to the academic department for the course section requested. Think of it as an electronic paper form that holds up to five individual courses. This is the process for courses whether they are open, closed or waitlisted.
After a permit is placed you will need to complete enrollment in the Manage Classes tile, then proceed to Step 5: Process Payment. Payment is due the same day.
Step 5: Process payment
For more information regarding Student Portal login and navigating your Student Homepage, click HERE.
All fees are due in full at the time of enrollment, unless approved under some other agreement through EIP Finance. You will be subject to enrollment cancellation (without notice) if fees are not paid in full at the time of enrollment. Take time to review the Fees & Resources for Open University fee and refund policies.
For information on all other fees of other courses/programs offered through Extension and International Programs, click HERE and go to the specific program to review fee policy and refund information.
If you are an individual in the United States physically on a student Visa, requesting enrollment in any semester/term, which allows you to complete coursework in the United States, be prepared to upload proof of permission from your designated school official (DSO) at the time of the enrollment or Request for Approval. This documentation should state you have approval to complete a course(s) at CSUF through Open University, while an admitted/matriculated student in attendance at another institution. Open University at CSUF does not issue one an I-20 to obtain a student Visa to enter the United States.