Maintaining Student Status - STEM OPT Extension / Change of STEM Employer
Change of STEM Employer
Follow this procedure if you are changing from one STEM approved employer to another STEM approved employer.
Upon approval, ISS will issue an updated I-20.
How to Report
- Download and complete the STEM OPT Employer Update Form using the following instructions:
- Enter Last Name, First Name, and CWID
- Select “Change of STEM Employer” and I-20 shipping option
- Section A: Complete whole section
- Section B: Select “Employed (single employer)” and complete whole section
- Section C: Complete whole section
- Section D: Leave blank
- Section E: Complete whole section
- Using page 5 of Form I-983, complete the "Final Evaluation on Student Progress" section and have your previous employer sign it.
- This is a self-evaluation and should not be written by the employer
- The evaluation start and end date should reflect employment dates during the STEM period
- The evaluation should be signed by you and the signatory designated on page 4 of the I-983.
- Download and complete a new I-983 Training Plan with your new employer. Refer to our Guidelines for Completing Form I-983 for further instructions.
- Attach proof of new employer enrollment in E-Verify, if not listed in the USCIS E-Verify Employers Search Tool. Proof, if necessary, can come in the form of the STEM employer’s memorandum of understanding (MOU) with E-Verify or a screenshot of the company’s E-Verify web portal.
- Submit the completed form and all supporting documents in person to the ISS office or via email at email@example.com.