Travel & Visa / Visa - Continuing Students

Visa – Continuing Students

The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa. Consult the instructions on the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you will be applying.

Recommended Documents for Continuing Students

  1. Passport valid for at least 6 additional months at the time of entry into the U.S.
  2. Unexpired I-20 or DS-2019 with a valid travel signature
  3. Financial support documents
  4. Transcripts or enrollment verification from CSUF and previously attended U.S. schools

The documents above are guidelines for F/J Visa processing, but are not exhaustive. Refer to the U.S. embassy or consulate that will handle your Visa application for further guidance and clarification.

Visa Processing Times & Arrival in the United States

If you plan to leave the U.S. to apply for a new or replacement F or J Visa, you must account for visa interview wait times and visa processing time frames, which varies by U.S. embassy/consulate. Delays in Visa processing are frequent and breaks between semesters or recesses within semesters may not allow you enough time to receive your Visa before resuming classes in the U.S. If you are unable to arrive to the United States on or before the date that you resume your classes, contact ISS immediately.