Employment / Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of off-campus work authorization which permits eligible F-1 international students to engage in paid or unpaid work experience which "is an integral part of the established curriculum" and "directly related to the student's major area of study." Employment includes alternate work/study internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum.
Integral part of an established curriculum means the opportunity must be required by the curriculum or, if not required, the student must receive academic credit for the training. Enrollment in a specified course must be concurrent with the employment (see CPT Start and End Date section). CPT is not possible for graduate students enrolled in GRAD 700. If the work experience is solely sought because it is beneficial, relevant, or excellent professional/personal experience, it does NOT qualify for CPT. Student should seek advisement from ISS advisor regarding eligibility for other off-campus work permits.
Employer Specific Authorization
An F-1 student is eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be in valid F-1 status for one academic year (at least two semesters). A transfer student must have completed at least one semester at CSUF prior to the CPT authorization.
- Must maintain a full course of study in the program indicated on I-20
- Must be in good academic standing (not on academic, administrative, disciplinary, or graduate probation).
- Must obtain approval from designated academic or faculty advisor(s) in College and/or Department. Please consult with your department or College for any additional internship requirements and restrictions.
- Must enroll in internship course or equivalent to receive academic credit for training.
Part-Time CPT: Internship is limited to 20 hours or less per week. While a student is continuing a degree program, only part-time CPT will be allowed during the Fall or Spring semesters. It does not affect eligibility for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Full-time CPT: Internship hours are more than 20 hours per week. Full-time CPT is available only during the summer. Please check with your Internship Coordinator if other rules apply. If you accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT you will not be eligible to apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
CPT combined with On-Campus Work: During Spring or Fall semester, if you plan to work on-campus while on approved part-time CPT, you are limited to no more than 20 hours per week for on-campus employment and no more than 20 hours per week for part-time CPT. The combined employment time cannot exceed 40 hours total per week.
CPT Start Date and End Date
Academic internship may begin as early as the first day of the semester and must end no later than the last day of final exams week. It is your responsibility to inform the internship host organization that your internship dates must fall within the dates of the CSUF academic semester or term. Please see chart below:
|Internship Term||Semester/Term Start Date
(Earliest Internship Start Date)
|Semester/Term End Date
(Latest Internship End Date)
|Deadline to Submit CPT Request to ISS Office|
|First day of Instruction for Semester or Term||Last day of Final Examinations for Semester or Term||Add/Drop Deadline of Semester or Term|
CPT vs. Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)
You must register for the internship or equivalent course.
|No internship course registration is required.|
|You pay the tuition and fees for the course. CPT authorized by ISS office. Allow time for ISS processing. No same day or next day processing.||File Form I-765 Application for Employment with USCIS application fee; allow 2-3 months average processing time.|
|CPT is authorized for a specific period to coincide with the semester or academic term.||You request an intended start date. You may begin to work after the approved date upon the receipt of your EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card.|
|Deadline to apply for CPT is the Add & Drop deadline for Fall, Spring, or Summer term||Apply no earlier than 90 days prior to your desired start date of employment.|
You cannot change employers during the CPT authorization.
|You may change employers during the approved pre-completion OPT period.|
|If you obtain a second internship with your current host organization, you need to re-enroll for the internship course, repeat CICE registration, and CPT application process.||Pre-completion OPT time will be deducted from total 12 months of Optional Practical Training allocation.|
|You are not eligible for CPT while on GRAD 700.||
You are eligible for Pre-Completion OPT while on GRAD 700.
Steps to Obtain CPT:
- Review ISS website to determine eligibility and application requirements. If you have questions about your eligibility, schedule an appointment with an ISS Advisor. Please also check with your department or College for additional rules on internships.
- Refer to the CICE Info Cards for more information instructions before finding an internship
- Find an internship position. Visit Titan Connection to search for an internship. Internship companies must be registered with CICE.
- Obtain an offer letter from your internship site.
- Obtain your academic department's permit to enroll, if required.
- Once enrolled in the internship course, obtain the CICE Academic Internship Placement form.
- Complete the Curricular Practical Training Request form and submit to ISS. If the internship is a paid position and you do not have a social security number (SSN), please submit a request for a SSN support letter at the time of submission. You will be contacted by ISS once your updated I-20 with CPT authorization and your SSN support letter are ready.
- Once ISS processes your application, you will be given a new I-20. You will receive an updated I-20 with CPT Work Authorization noted on page 2, including the name of the internship employer, location & authorization dates.
- Internships cannot be authorized on the same day or day before you start your internship. It is unlawful to begin the internship before CPT is granted. Please plan accordingly.
- Consult with an ISS advisor and Academic Advisor in your Major Department if you wish to participate in a second internship. The entire internship registration and CPT request process must be repeated in order to obtain work authorization for a second internship.