Employment / Academic Training

students walking into class

Academic Training

J-1 Academic Training


J-1 students may apply for a work permit called “Academic Training” in order to receive training related to their field of study. Academic training may be either paid or unpaid, part-time or full-time, with one or more employers, to supplement students’ academic program in the U.S. The purpose of the academic training is experiential learning. J-1 students’ Program Sponsor (institution that provides Form DS-2019) is responsible for granting Academic Training and is subject to current requirements and restrictions of the J Exchange Visitor Program. Students sponsored by Cal State Fullerton must submit their Academic Training Request Packet to the International Students & Scholars Office. Students who are sponsored by other institutions (for example, Fulbright) must contact their Program Sponsor regarding Academic Training eligibility and procedures.



  • Student’s primary purpose in the U.S. is to study rather than engage in academic training
  • Student must be in good academic standing (minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduates and non-degree; minimum GPA of 3.0 for graduate students) and good student conduct record.
  • Student must be maintaining J-1 status.
  • Academic Training must be directly related to student’s field of study on Form DS-2019.
  • For Academic Training before completion of studies, student must enroll in appropriate internship course and receive academic credit.
  • Student must submit a complete Academic Training Request packet which includes job offer letter from employer.
  • If applying for Academic Training after completion of studies, then the following requirements apply:
    • Student must also submit proof of funds for self and J-2 dependents, if any (minimum of $1500/month for student; $500/month for dependent) to cover the entire duration of the Academic Training period requested.
    • Academic Training must begin no later than 30 days after completion of CSUF studies.

Health Insurance Requirements

Federal regulations require that all J-1 students and their J-2 dependents carry health insurance at all times, including during Academic Training. CSUF J-1 students and their J-2 dependents are required to purchase the CSUF health insurance to meet this requirement.