Travel & Visa / Travel Inside the U.S.

Travel Inside the U.S.

Travel inside the U.S., including to Hawaii and Alaska, does not require special permission from ISS. This means you do not need request a travel signature on the I-20 or DS-2019, as those are required specifically for reentry into the U.S.

Identification Documents

Photo identification issued by the State of California or another U.S. state should be sufficient for travel inside the U.S. However, we strongly recommend that you bring copies of your passport, valid F or J visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 with you as well especially if you will be visiting U.S. cities that border other countries, as those areas are more prone to immigration checkpoints.


If you will be traveling on a cruise, verify if the route includes international travel. If so, visit our Travel Outside the U.S. page for information about travel guidelines and documents required for international travel.