New Students / Graduate Students
New International Degree-Seeking Students
The checklist below is for new international students who will begin their first semester at Cal State Fullerton: freshmen, transferring undergraduate students, graduate students, credential or certificate program students. Bookmark this page and visit often to successfully prepare for your first semester at CSUF.
Pre-Semester Start Checklist
All admitted international students must accept the admission offer and pay the $250 enrollment deposit. For deadlines and instructions on how to accept your admission and pay the deposit, visit the Office of Admissions webpage on accepting admission.
The deposit will be applied to your first semester registration fees. If you do not accept your admission offer and pay the deposit, it is assumed that you do not plan to attend CSUF and your space will be made available to another student. There is no deferment of admission. You will need to reapply for a future term if you are unable to enroll in your first semester.
All new CSUF international graduate and postbaccalaureate students need to check with their departments or college regarding orientation activities, if any.
All new international students are required to complete the ISS Online Immigration Module before they begin their first semester. To complete the module, enroll in the module in Canvas and complete the following:
- View the Immigration Overview video and audio presentation
- Take the Immigration Quiz and earn a score of 80% or above
- Read and submit the International Student Agreement
An ISS Hold on your student account will prevent you from registering for classes until you have completed all the requirements of the module. Once completed, please allow 3-5 business days to remove the ISS Hold from your student account.
All F-1 and J-1 international students in the United States are required to purchase the CSUF International Student Insurance plan administered by JCB Insurance Solutions before registering for classes. Visit our health insurance page to purchase and learn more.
International students who are enrolled in pure online/web course(s) and will remain outside the U.S. can request an exception to the health insurance requirement based on remaining outside the U.S. by sending an email to ISS with eveidence of being outside the U.S.
As part of the university orientation process, you are required to complete an online training assigned by the Title IX and Gender Equity department on how to stay safe at Cal State Fullerton. This required training will be assigned to you a few weeks before the start of your first semester. You must complete this training before the established deadline in order to avoid a hold being placed on your Student Record by the Title IX and Gender Equity department.
- Fall Admitted Students: Deadline – Mid-September
- Spring Admitted Students: Deadline – Mid-February
A few weeks before the first week of your first semester, please check your CSUF email for an important message from the Title IX and Gender Equity department with directions on how to complete this required training. More information about the training is available at the Title IX and Gender Equity website.
- Submit official transcripts directly to the CSUF Office of Admissions (do not send to ISS).
- Submit proof of required immunizations to the CSUF Student Wellness. If you have questions about the immunization requirements or upload process, please
send the following email to email@example.com.
- "Hello, I am an incoming student for (specify: Fall or Spring) semester and have questions regarding my immunization record. Please advise." Please sign letter with you full name and CSUF ID at the end of the email.
- For more information, visit the Student Wellness website.
Reporting to School: Mandatory New Student Check-in and Workshop
You must complete the New Student Check-in and attend the New Student Workshop as part of your requirement as an international student to report to California State University Fullerton. Failure to do the Check-in and attend the Workshop can negatively impact your F-1 or J-1 status.
- New Student Check-In: Deadline First Friday of First Semester
- Virtual New International Student Workshop: Friday before Semester Begins; check your CSUF email for details.