New Students / University Semester Abroad & Exchange
University Semester Abroad & Exchange
Congratulations on your admission! To help you prepare for your trip to Fullerton, we have created a pre-arrival checklist specifically for new University Semester Abroad (USA) & Exchange students. Bookmark this page and visit often to successfully prepare for your semester at Cal State Fullerton.
Pre-Arrival Checklist for Spring 2021
Please complete all items before the Spring semester begins. Many items will have to be completed well before the semester starts, so please read the entire list and prepare early.
After you receive your Form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status" or Form DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status" from California State University, Fullerton, you can begin the process of applying for U.S. student visa. Students who receive a Form I-20 can apply for a F-1 visa. Students who receive a Form DS-2019 can apply for a J-1 visa.
Before you apply for a visa, you must first pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. For information on how to apply for a visa and schedule your visa interview, visit the US Department of State's webpage on student visas.
- Required New Student Check-in and Orientation: Friday January 22, 2021
before arriving in Fullerton. Accommodations are not provided by the University and staying in hotels in and around the area will be costly. Learn more about housing options in and around Fullerton.
All international students are required by federal law to maintain valid health insurance during their temporary stay in the United States. CSUF requires international students to purchase the Anthem Student Advantage Plan provided by JCB Insurance Solutions. Visit our health insurance page to learn more.
University Semester Abroad Program: You are required to pay for tuition and fees before arriving in the United States or during check-in. The total amount to pay is USD 5,622.00. You can pay tuition in the following ways:
- Online at any time through the CSUF Flywire Portal, which allows payment by bank transfer, credit card or PayPal, depending on your home country. You will need your CSUF campus-wide ID (CWID). Please be sure to enter your CWID correctly, so that your payment can be accurately applied to your student account here at CSUF. If you pay through Flywire, please send a notification email to firstname.lastname@example.org, so that our office staff can more quickly track your payment.
- In person with cash, check or credit card.
Exchange Program: Please fulfill all financial obligations with your home university.
Students who need assistance in finding housing near Fullerton, including temporary accommodations, can review available housing options on the International Housing website.
Documents to Bring
When traveling, make sure you have the following with you at all times. Always pack these items in your carry-on bag, not your checked luggage!
- Valid passport with F-1 or J-1 visa
- I-20 or DS-2019 signed by school official and by student
- Evidence of financial support
- Admissions letter from CSUF
- Printed I-901 SEVIS fee receipt
Transportation from the Airport to Fullerton
For information about transportation to and from the airport, visit the ISS transportation website. Students should take the shuttle directly to your housing, not to Cal State Fullerton.
New Student Check-in and Academic Workshops will be conducted by appointment. Scheduling details will be announced.
During your appointment, you will submit required documentation and pay tuition and fees. Please bring the following documents to your check-in appointment:
- DS-2019 (J-1 Students) or I-20 (F-1 Students)
- Verification of CSU health insurance
- Tuition Payment (USA Students only, if not completed already)
- Verification of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccination
You are required to attend the Check-In, Academic Workshop, and Orientation Seminar on Friday January 22, 2021 (view map).