New Students / University Semester Abroad & Exchange
University Semester Abroad & Exchange
Congratulations on your admission! To help you prepare for your trip to Fullerton, we have created a pre-arrival checklist specifically for new University Semester Abroad (USA) & Exchange students. Bookmark this page and visit often to successfully prepare for your semester at Cal State Fullerton.
Please complete all items before the semester begins. Many items will have to be completed well before the semester starts, so please read the entire list and prepare early.
After you receive your Form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status" or Form DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status" from California State University, Fullerton, you can begin the process of applying for U.S. student visa. Students who receive a Form I-20 can apply for a F-1 visa. Students who receive a Form DS-2019 can apply for a J-1 visa.
Before you apply for a visa, you must first pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. For information on how to apply for a visa and schedule your visa interview, visit the US Department of State's webpage on student visas.
- Required Orientation and New Student Workshops (typically held on the Friday before
- Spring 2024: Friday, January 19, 2024
- Fall 2024: TBD
Accommodations are not provided by the University and staying in hotels in and around the area will be costly. Learn more about housing options in and around Fullerton.
All international students are required by federal law to maintain valid health insurance during their temporary stay in the United States. CSUF requires international students to purchase the Anthem Student Advantage Plan provided by JCB Insurance Solutions. Visit our health insurance page to learn more.
University Semester Abroad Program: You are required to pay for tuition and fees before arriving in the United States or during check-in. The total amount to pay is USD 5,622.00. You can pay tuition in the following ways:
- Online at any time through your CSUF Student Portal, which allows payment by bank transfer, credit card or PayPal, depending on your home country. You will need your CSUF campus-wide ID (CWID). Please be sure to enter your CWID correctly, so that your payment can be accurately applied to your student account here at CSUF.
- In person with cash, check or credit card at the university Cashier’s Office located in Gordon Hall 180 (GH-180). Note: In person payment services are temporarily unavailable until further notice.
Exchange Program: Please fulfill all financial obligations with your home university.
Your attendance is required at Orientation, Academic and New F1/J1 Student Workshops, typically held on the Friday before semester begins. Details for virtual meetings are sent to new students via email.
- Fall 2023: Friday, August 18
- Spring 2023: Friday, January 20
Please complete the Virtual New Student Check-in before the Friday of your first semester. Failure to complete these requirements could negatively impact your F-1 or J-1 visa status.