Maintaining Student Status - STEM OPT Extension / Ending STEM employment and Ending STEM OPT benefit
Ending STEM employment and Ending STEM OPT benefit
Follow this procedure if you are ending your STEM employment and ending your STEM OPT benefit before the end date on your STEM OPT EAD. This includes the following scenarios:
- Departing U.S. and not returning before the end date on your STEM OPT EAD.
- Transferring to another school in the U.S. before the end date on your STEM OPT EAD.
- Changing to another status before the end date on your STEM OPT EAD.
No updated I-20 will be issued after reporting
Click the link below to complete the STEM OPT Employer Update Form and upload your Final Evaluation (Page 5 of Form I-983). Please note the following:
- View Final Evaluation Guidelines
- This is a self-evaluation and should not be written by the employer.
- The evaluation start and end date should reflect the employment dates during the STEM OPT period.
- The evaluation should be signed by you and the signatory designated on page 4 of the I-983 in ink. Electronic signatures are not accepted.
If you have not already done so, be sure to complete the steps below depending on your situation.
Submit the Exit Form and upload proof of departure, such as plane ticket or I-94 travel history. ISS will update your SEVIS record to "completed" status after your departure date and your STEM OPT work authorization will automatically end.
Submit the Transfer Out Request and upload a copy of your admission letter. Be sure to request a SEVIS release date that is after your last day of employment. Your STEM OPT work authorization will automatically end when your record is transferred to the new school.
Submit the Exit Form and upload evidence of your new status. ISS will update your SEVIS record to indicate you are no longer F-1. As of the effective date of your new status, your STEM OPT work authorization is no longer valid.