Maintaining Student Status - STEM OPT Extension / Ending STEM Employment and Maintaining STEM OPT Benefit
Ending STEM Employment and Maintaining STEM OPT Benefit
Follow this procedure if you are ending your employment with a STEM employer but want to maintain your STEM OPT benefit.
Upon approval, ISS will issue an updated I-20.
How to Report
- Download and complete the STEM OPT Employer Update Form using the following instructions:
- Enter Last Name, First Name, and CWID
- Select “Change of STEM Employer” and I-20 delivery option
- Section A: Complete whole section
- Section B: Select “Unemployed” and leave rest of section blank
- Section C: Complete whole section
- Section D: Leave blank
- Section E: Complete whole section
- Using page 5 of Form I-983, complete the "Final Evaluation on Student Progress" section and have your previous employer sign it.
- This is a self-evaluation and should not be written by the employer
- The evaluation start and end date should reflect employment dates during the STEM period
- The evaluation should be signed by the signatory designated on page 4 of the I-983.
- Submit the completed form and all supporting documents in person to the ISS office or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.