Maintaining Student Status - STEM OPT Extension / Material Changes to Form I-983 Training Plan
Material Changes to I-983 Training Plan
Follow this procedure if you or your STEM employer would like to report changes to your I-983 training plan. Your STEM employer, by signing the I-983, agrees to report changes in the training plan to ISS as outlined on Page 2, Section 4, Employer Certification.These changes also may impact your I-20.
Due Date: Earliest available opportunity
How to Report
- Download and complete the STEM OPT Employer Update Form using the following instructions:
- Enter Last Name, First Name, and CWID
- Select “Material changes to Form I-983”
- Section A: Complete whole section
- Section B: Select “Employed (single employer)” and complete whole section
- Section C: Leave blank
- Section D: Complete whole section
- Section E: Complete whole section
- Complete an updated I-983 Training Plan, signed by you and your employer. Refer to our Guidelines for Completing Form I-983 for further instructions.
- Submit the completed form and updated I-983 training plan in person to the ISS office or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon approval, ISS will issue an updated I-20 for certain material changes only. Examples of material changes and whether a new I-20 will be issued include but are not limited to:
|Type of Change||New I-20?|
|Change in Compensation/Salary (Section 3)||No|
|Change in Employer Name (Section 3)||Yes|
|Change in Employer Site (Section 5)||Yes|
|Designation of new employer with signatory authority (Section 6)||No|